Auckland’s America’s Cup Infrastructure
Our team led the procurement and successful establishment of the alliance tasked with building the stage to host the 36th America’s Cup in Auckland. Once formed our team acted as the Owner Interface Manager, representing the owner’s interests in the Wynyard Edge Alliance.
This work is funded by Auckland Council and Central Government who are also the alliance Owner Participants and represented in the governance of the alliance by Auckland Council, Panuku and the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE).
The Non-Owner Participants in the Wynyard Edge Alliance are constructors Downer and McConnell Dowell and designers Beca and Tonkin & Taylor.
The goal is to create an attractive, welcoming waterfront destination Aucklanders and visitors will love, that lasts well beyond a single sporting event. The project works include:
- An extension to Hobson Wharf
- Construction of eight breakwaters
- Upgrades around Emirates Team New Zealand’s base on Halsey Wharf
- Major upgrade to the structure of Wynyard Wharf
- Upgrades to utilities services
- Demolition, groundworks and construction of platforms and services for up to five team bases on Wynyard Point
- Dredging of the whole site
- Creation of a new marina through installation of berthing for both the America’s Cup bases, super yacht berths, J Class boats, media and support vessels
- New public open space and access throughout the new marina area
Client: Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment, Auckland Council
Completed: Our role – June 2019. Construction – July 2020